This obelisk is a part of the monument built by the Soviet Government in Brest Fortress, currently undergoing some kind of restoration.
Monument was opened by the Soviet government in 1971 in memory of the battle which took place here in June – July 1941. Not more than 4000 Soviet troops resisted a German onslaught of a far greater number of troops and equipment for almost a month. It is in stark contrast to the rest of the Red Army, which was retreating very rapidly in the first months of the invasion leaving large swathes of territory and men to be captured by the Wehrmacht. The fortress resisted even when Germans were already far behind to the East.
German side was so impressed that they afforded the defenders far better treatment than other Red Army prisoners, once they surrendered.
Nobody has marked this note useful