From 15 BC, a city formed on the banks of the Salzach River.
In 45, the city was called Iuvavum, it belongs to the Roman empire. In the 5th century a cloister is housed. Bishop Rupert von Worms (or Rupert von Salzburg) receives the city in 699, gift on the part of the County of Bavaria.
The 'Salzburg' name is mentioned for the first time in 755. The city is the seat of the bishopric from 739. Salzburg becomes a city-State ruled by a Prince-archbishops.In 1077, the Hohensalzburg Fortress (Festung Hohensalzburg) was built by prince-Archbishop Gebhard.In the 17th century, the city is 'baroquise', such as the Prince-archbishops Wolf Dietrich von von Raitenau, Markus Sittikus Graf von Hohenems and Paris Graf von Lodron.
1803 marks the end of the reigns of the archbishops of Salzburg princes. The city passed under the rule of Ferdinand III of Tuscany and then in 1805 it was annexed with Berchtesgaden in the Austria.
In 1810, she is attached to Bavaria, and then in 1816 (after the Congress of Vienna) she is again returned to the Austria.
Around 1860, the fortifications are not enough to contain the city, Salzburg extends to the outside.
Nobody has marked this note useful