Pigeon Island, north of Castries, is St Lucia’s first national park, reached from the mainland across a causeway. The islet has a romantic past, having been the hide-out of Jambe de Bois, the much-feared peg-leg pirate who preyed on Spanish galleons during the 1550s. Two centuries later British admiral George Rodney fortified the island, using it to monitor the French fleet on Martinique. It was also from here that Admiral Rodney set sail in 1782 to destroy the French fleet in one of the most decisive sea battles in European history.With the end of hostilities between the two European rivals, the fort slipped into disuse in the 19th century, although the USA established a small signal station there during WWII.
In the 1970s a sandy causeway was constructed between Gros Islet and Pigeon Island, turning the island into a peninsula, and in 1979 Pigeon Island was established as a national park.
Sorry for the lack of equipment info on the earlier post!
Nobody has marked this note useful