Photos

Photographer's Note

One of the beautiful facades on a street in Parque Vidal of Santa Clara.
Santa Clara is the capital city of the Cuban province of Villa Clara. It is located in the most central region of the province and almost in the most central region of the country.
Santa Clara was founded by 175 people on July 15th, 1689. One hundred and thirty-eight of them were represented by two large families already living in the area and, therefore, owners of the land next to the new city. The other 37 came from 7 other families, a priest and a governor, all of them originating in the coastal city of “San Juan de los Remedios”. The population of Remedios was torn between the option of leaving their city, constantly besieged by pirate attacks, or staying in place. While most of them finally decided to stay, these 37 persons traveled south and, on June 1, 1689 they arrive to the hill where they rejoined the other two existing families. A mass was given under a Tamarind tree and the city was born. Since then, the place under the tree is known as “Loma Del Carmen” (Carmen’s Hill). A second generation church exists in a beautiful park along the place with a monument commemorating the event surrounded by a fourth generation Tamarind tree.
At its beginnings, the settlement was called Cayo Nuevo, then Dos Cayos, Villa Nueva de Santa Clara, Pueblo Nuevo de Antón Díaz, Villa Clara and finally Santa Clara.
Construction of the city began not far from Carmen’s Hill. Following the Spanish standards, a perfect squared layout with a central plaza (Plaza Mayor today Parque Vidal) was developed. The first buildings erected were the Cabildo (City Council) and a modest palm tree church. This building was enhanced in 1725 to a brick one, and stayed the center of the Parque Vidal until August 22, 1923 when it was torn down in order to expand the plaza and build a new church close by. Back then, and still nowadays, this decision, taken by the mayor, was highly criticized. The building, while not a gem of architecture, was not entirely unpleasant to the eye and certainly an example of the older colonial structure in the city. Resulting from this expropriation by the City Council, a complaint was raised by religious figures and a total of 77 850.00 pesos were paid in fines to the Church, a considerable sum that would represent millions of pesos today.
Soon after the foundation, a theater, a chamber of commerce, meeting clubs, public libraries and dance halls were erected as well. The position of the city, almost in the very center of the country, made it as a perfect halt and a great communication link, east-west and north-south, creating a slow but unstoppable growth. By the 19th century, Santa Clara was bigger and more populated than the rest of the towns around, including what was once Remedios. As a necessary stop between Havana and the east of the country, the city gained the title of Las Villas province capital.

SINFONIA VERDE

Una delle meravigliose facciate nella strada che si affaccia sul Parque Vidal,un'oasi verde nel centro di Santa Clara.
Santa Clara è un comune di Cuba, capoluogo della provincia di Villa Clara (che insieme alle province di Cienfuegos e Sancti Spiritus faceva parte della vecchia provincia di Las Villas). Fu fondata il 15 luglio 1689.
Centro di commercio e snodo di trasporti stradali e ferroviari, oltreché sede di un aeroporto, ha una popolazione stimata di 217 000 abitanti, secondo il censimento del 1994. L'allevamento fu l'attività principale della città fino al XIX secolo, quando fu soppiantata dalla coltivazione della canna da zucchero. La lavorazione e la commercializzazione del tabacco è ora una delle attività principali.
Le vicende che si svolsero in questa città nel dicembre del 1958 furono determinanti per il successo della rivoluzione. In particolare le azioni di guerriglia condotte da Che Guevara e da Camilo Cienfuegos inflissero pesanti perdite all'esercito di Fulgencio Batista, e determinarono la capitolazione e la fuga del dittatore.
Santa Clara è rinomata per essere sede del mausoleo del Che, diviso in 2 due parti: la prima zona ospita, dall'agosto 1997, le tombe di Ernesto Guevara e di sei suoi compagni caduti in Bolivia e di 14 combattenti uccisi in Guatemala. La seconda zona è dedicata ad un fotocronistoria della vita del Che fin dai primi anni di vita, integrando le foto ad oggetti di proprietà del combattente e di uso comune durante la sua attività come medico nel sud di Cuba all'epoca dello sbarco con Fidel Castro, nel 1956.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luciano Gollini (lousat) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 6756 W: 117 N: 12641] (71351)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2012-02-07
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/4, 1/250 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2012-03-07 0:53
  • Favorites: 1 [view]
Viewed: 2924
Points: 108
Discussions
Additional Photos by Luciano Gollini (lousat) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 6756 W: 117 N: 12641] (71351)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH