Halfmoon Caye is natural park on the south of Lighthouse Reef. It's protected by Belize law and because of that you can be sure that it will be as it is for many years.
The only people that live on the island are the park rangers, wich use the simple houses on the left of the photo. The lighthouse also on the left was desactivated long time ago.
Halfmoon caye was declared a national park because of huge colony of sea birds, including the red feet bobies, and because of the pristine coral reef that sorrounds the island.
The name of Halfmoon caye, comes from the shape of Island wich reminds exactly an halfmoon.
The Island is very beutifull and I hope the photo can give you and ideia of this beuty.
- Copyright: pedro carmo (pedrocarmo) (1295)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2005-06-09
- Categories: Nature
- Camera: Canon EOS350D/Digital Rebel XT, Canon 18-55 mm EF-S
- Exposure: f/11, 1/200 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Travelogue: Belize, Riviera maya and Maimi
- Date Submitted: 2005-06-26 9:00