Why did the Vietnamese, Japanese, and Chinese blacken their teeth for centuries? How did the custom form?
This is best answer which is chosen by Asker from Yahoo! Answers: During the Heian period in Japan, there was a court lady who was the most beautiful woman ever seen. She was complimented on her beauty, but her modesty was as great as her beauty, and she didn't wish to seem proud or vain. So she blackened her teeth to look uglier.
However, the purity and unselfishness of her act made her a beautiful person through and through, so everyone still admired her. Later other women tried to imitate and emulate this modesty by also blackening their teeth, and it became the fashion.
- Copyright: Thanh Nguyen Ha (scampi) (1024)
- Genre: People
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2006-11-09
- Categories: Daily Life
- Camera: Nikon D70s, Nikkor 18-70mm f/3-4.5 G ED (kit lens)
- Exposure: f/7.1, 1/200 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2006-11-17 23:05