Critiques | Translate
Rupes (913) 2004-04-06 17:07
White sand,beautiful blue water,the longtail...well,it's thailand!!
ianmcall (1213) 2004-04-07 5:32
The boat gives a good sense of both scale and a human presense. I like the choice of a panaramic view here; just highlighting the beach and water colours.
theopowers (0) 2004-04-14 18:05
Hi. This is a very nice photo. It makes me want to get on a plane. My critique is that there is a lot of space that seems to distract the eye on the left side and the bottom. My eye wanted to focus on the boat, the hut, and the rocks with the fence, (or whatever it is), but it wouldn't naturally rest there. I cropped it so that the piece of "fence" was in the extreme left hand corner, and my eye found the shot much more pleasing. Here are several "theoretical" reasons my eye liked it better:
1. The fence and the rocks it is against now look more graphic, and are not lost among other rocks.
2. The boat is a little less centered in the photo.
3. There is a pleasing graphic line from the large rocks to the underwater rocks to the boat, which the eye naturally follows back and forth.
4. The hut and the purple tree are not lost among the foliage.
5. The grey strip of beach can still be seen, but is not so distracting.
6. The stray grass in the right hand corner is gone, making the bay seem more limitless.
I know this is critique seems long, but it's really just one thing: this scene seems more tranquil yet powerful when there's less going on. You still get the scale of the long blue inlet, but the graphic elements have more impact.