"ghost month" is a time when taiwanese believe the gate of hell opens and the spirits of ancestors return to the living world for a month-long visit. the fifteenth day of the month, or the full moon, is dedicated to the "good brothers" or ghosts of people who died without any family. one of the most famous events takes place in the harbour city of keelung in the north of the island. on the 14th of the 7th lunar month the evening starts off with a parade where the locals and members of the most influential klans compete against each other to entertain the living and the dead.
more shots here.
Nobody has marked this note useful
Critiques | Translate
goodwill (4224) 2008-08-24 8:59
A wonderful shot under difficult light conditions.
Reminds me of the photography of my friend, Shail.
Struck a good composition, Mark.
Koyama (607) 2008-08-27 10:49
The gate of hell opens in Japan too.
No dancing girls but only gongs and pan flutes.
You can hear it at
- Copyright: Mark Panszky (markoci) (3927)
- Genre: People
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2008-08-14
- Categories: Festivals, Event, Decisive Moment
- Camera: Canon EOS 30D, Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5 EFS
- Exposure: f/5.0, 1/200 seconds
- Details: (Fill) Flash: Yes
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2008-08-24 8:56