The Fortress of Ivangorod (Jaanilinn) stands on the Russian side of the Narva River facing the equally imposing Narva Castle.
The Danes built the Narva Castle (Hermann Castle) in 1256 and it was purchased by the Livonian Knights in 1346.
Ivan III of Moscow built the Russian fortress in 1492, but it fell into Swedish hands from 1581 and was part of Estonia Republic from 1919 until World War II.
Estonia and Russia still do not agree on the correct location of the border, but for administrative purposes, it stands between the two castles today.
Under the bridge joining Russia with Western Europe, the Narva River flows peacefully.
On this peaceful Sunday morning in June, a lone fisherman tried his luck while we explored the many interesting rooms of the Narva Museum, checking from time to time to see if he had caught any fish.
One can't help but contrast the peacefulness of the scene with the violent 800 year history of this place.
Nobody has marked this note useful