The assumption Cathedral in the city of Vladimir, on the Cathedral square. The world famous monument of architecture. Originally the Cathedral was built in 1158-1161, during the reign of Andrey Bogolubsky on the high shore of the Klyazma river in the heart of the city considered not only as the main Church of the Vladimir-Suzdal Principality, its cultural, political and religious center, but also as the main temple of the whole Russia. 21 September 1164 in the Cathedral was transferred greatest Shrine of Russia - the Miraculous icon of the Mother of God, for which he, in fact, built. Since then, the icon was called the Vladimir icon of the Mother of God. After the fire of 1185 by Prince Vsevolod III, the Cathedral was reconstructed. In result of the restructuring of the XIII century Cathedral became larger, gained five domes, with gilded Central and silver side domes, and received its top two tiers Gables. Assumption Cathedral has preserved fragments of wall paintings by unknown artists of the mid-XII century and creation of famous masters of the old Russian painting of Andrei Rublev, who worked on the frescoes of the Cathedral in 1408. He also painted icons for the iconostasis.