So titled because the black base of his statue is seen in the photo but the famous statue of Felix is nowhere to be seen! lol The backdrop for this photo is the yellow building, which is one of three buildings in the infamous KGB complex. The group is located in downtown Moscow. The main building actually predates the Russian Revolution and was taken over by the Bolsheviks in 1918. It was originally built in 1898 as the headquarters for an insurance company. It later contained the infamous Lubyanka prison, which featured prominenlty in Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago. Many prisoners were tortured and interrogated there during the Soviet regime. It is now the headquarters of the Border troops and contains a single Federal Security Service directorate. Tourists are now able to visit a KGB museum in a building behind the Lubyanka and tours are even given through the yellow lubyanka building itself. The upper floors are KGB offices but the ground floors are used for services for retired KGB offices. Soviet secret police chielf from Beria to Yuri Andropov used the same office on the third floor, which looked down on the statue of Cheka founder Felix Dzerzhinsky, and the building had a grim reputation; it was said that from this building, "one could see Siberia," to where many dissidents were exiled or executed.
Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky was the founder of the Vecheka, or Russain commission to combat counter-revolution, known as the Cheka. He himself spent quite a long time in prison; he was arrested several times and was exiled to Siberia for a time. Upon his release he joined the Bolshevik party and gained the nickname Iron Felix. Lenin granted him significant powers to combat opposition, in which he was especially formidable. He served as the Minister of the Inferior and other offices but died of a heart attack in 1926 in Moscow. Eventually six towns in the former Soviet Union were named after him, and there is also a museum in his birthplace in Belarus. The base seen in the photo once housed a 15-ton bronze monument, erected in 1958 by sculptor Yevgeny Vuchetich. The memorial was toppled after the August 1991 failed coup by a crowd with a crane! Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov proposed returning the statue to the square in 2002 but the plan was rejected; it remains in the Central House of Artists, where a number of other deposed Soviet icons are also housed.
Nobody has marked this note useful