Here is another shot in my theme "behind the wall" http://www.trekearth.com/themes.php?thid=6758
This is a view of Onsong, the town across from Tumen. Seen in this shot are some elements that were explained to me, I can't verify everything but I can see some of it. You will notice, if you look closely.
1) The buildings in the foreground look nice, but rumor has it that they are surveillance buildings. Particularly the on on the left.
2) the boiler stack in beside the surveillance tower has no smoke coming from it, the day was -10.
3) There is a large gun on the roof of the left most building.
4) 3 guard posts can be seen in the bushes in the foreground.
5) The real inhabitants live behind the towers, in the small traditional Korean houses.
Things like this give the experience of looking in a different feel. It is a little like looking at a very interesting exhibit in a museum. If you look at everyone's pictures of DPRK on TE you will find that all the interior shots talk about guides and being allowed to take pictures. Why would this be, could they not plan a town like this to show to rest of the world, less than we think we see?
Comments are appreciated.
Critiques | Translate
A310 (418) 2007-02-15 11:48
Very useful picture and story.I like it.Well done.
noborders (1010) 2007-07-05 11:13
Saw this in your "random" photos : your note is very interesting, of course the photo too, unfortunately I could not spot the 3 guard posts, and to me, the buildings in the foreground look like uggly Soviet style an uninteresting architecture, specially the ones on the right, much better to live in the low, traditional houses seen at the back, but of course, this does not mean that the poor people live in great comfort !
sebinho342 (19317) 2007-07-12 8:12
Hi Mattew, very exotic shot of a country we are not used to watch here on TE, so policed and controlled, this is a pleasure to watch yours (4) and you wrote an excellent note.
Yes i see the little village overthere.
Excellent, this is exactly what TE i supposed to : share and discover about the world.
Keep on ! :)
- Copyright: Matthew Stefels (eslmatt) (123)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2007-02-11
- Categories: Daily Life
- Exposure: f/5.6, 1/250 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Behind the Wall [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2007-02-15 10:54