Pudu Prison main gate.
The Pudu Prison was a prison in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. First built in 1891 along Jalan Hang Tuah, the prison was built in stages by the British colonial government, and was completed in 1895.The construction began with its 394-metre prison wall at a cost of RM16,000, and had been adorned with the world's longest mural at one point in its history. Circa 1911, Richard Alfred Ernest Clark, a former soldier of the third battalion of the Middlesex Regiment, was one of the European warders in the history of Pudu.
More recently, the prison was closed for several years. It was reopened in 1997/98 as a museum and again for a short time in early 2004.
In June 2009, the government finally decided to destroy the complex by developing it in phases.In June 2010, the eastern wall of the Pudu Prison complex was destroyed to make way for a road widening project.
Nobody has marked this note useful