Named after the Governor General in Bengal, Charles Cornwallis and built in 1786, Fort Cornwallis was intended as a defensive structure against pirates, Kedah forces and even the French during the Napoleonic Wars. However although it was initially built for the Royal artillery troops and the military, it served an administrative function rather than an actively defensive one.
Spanning 4490sqft it was built as a stockade with no permanent structures. The fort stands on the site where Captain Francis Light first set foot in 1786 on the then virtually-uninhabited Penang and took possession of the island from the Sultan of Kedah. He then established a free port to lure trade from Britainís Dutch rivals.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Eugene Fu (eugenefu) (391)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-08-20
- Categories: Ruins
- Camera: Pentax K-r, Pentax SMC DAL f/3.5 - 5.6 18-55mm AL
- Exposure: f/8, 1/60 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Penang, Pearl Of The Orient [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2012-10-21 18:57