Funa-hoko (ship float) is one of the traditional floats of Gion Festival. It is based on a legendary war with Silla kingdom in Korea in 3rd century.
According to the legend, Empress Jingu led the expeditionary force to Korea although she was pregnant. And after the triumphal return, she give birth to a boy, Emperor Ojin.
In 15th century, townpeople of Kyoto designed this "ship float" modeled the warship of Empress Jingu. Because in the medieval times Empress Jingu was worshipped as a guardian goddes for the parturient women.
Today, Empress Jingu is considered to be an imaginary figure from a point view of historical science. Fact is prosaic.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: keitaro nakamoura (nekoyama) (574)
- Genre: People
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2008-07-17
- Categories: Festivals
- Camera: Fuji Finepix s8000fd
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Gion Festival 2008 [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2008-07-20 9:37