He was a really nice kid and his parents were very friendly as well. I met the three of them at the Water Palace in Yogya. At seeing his hat I knew that I had to get his picture.
The term "jihad," often translated as "Holy War," can mean:
1) a physical war of man against man, religion vs religion. This battle of arms was meant as a final resort, only to be undertaken in self-defence. (The West and the Extremists dwell on this. Moreover they pervert it by dropping the reference to "self-defence.")
2) an internal spiritual struggle. A battle against hate, and towards God (towards love). A fight to submit life to Allah, and not to human whims and desires (esp against the desire to dominate over man).
I only hope that this kid and his family are trying to reclaim the original meaning of the term.
I lived in Indonesia for 15 months. In that time I came to meet extremists (amoung many, many other people). [Once I visited the home of a major-ish player--so he claimed. He was very hospitable, sharing the finest liqours in his collection and he showed me his extensive firearms collection.]
The Jogja/Solo region is the home base to quite a few such grps (the leader of the grp blamed for the Bali Bomb lived in Solo, 1 hr away.) Footsoldiers wearing white Muslim robes and combat boots were on many intersections gathering donations.
The saddest thing is that most of the footsoldiers are decent people one on one (even to Westerners). It was the abstract "Westerner" and Western foreign policy that angered them.
These days the West (represented by America) are targeting Muslims. Many Muslim kids ask their parents why... what would you tell them?
Nobody has marked this note useful
Critiques | Translate
fproulx (56) 2003-12-02 23:47
Nice vivid colors, very nice comment !
Ebbe (9617) 2003-12-04 14:05
Very fine capture Alex. The contrast between the text on the hat and the cat on the T-shirt gives us a lot to think about. We have all been innocent kids once, what made us so different.
- Copyright: alex felipe (RandomCameraGuy) (3071)
- Genre: People
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2003-05-07
- Categories: Daily Life
- Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC20, 35-105mm, Digital
- Exposure: f/8, 1/97 seconds
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2003-12-02 23:12