Adalaj is a village about 15 kilometres north of Ahmadabad, and the vav lies on its northern periphery. It was built by Ruda, wife of the Vaghela chief Virasimha. He, in turn, was a petty chieftain who ruled during the reign of Sultan Mahmud Begda in the 15th century. As with the Dada Harir Vav, this stepwell dates from 1499 CE. It is laid out in a north-south direction, with the well in the north. 72.3 metres in length overall, it is classified as a Type 2 (straight stepped corridor with three entrances) and Category b (with four kutas and two supporting structures). The vav is approached from a plaza (40.5 metres x 27.5) that affords ready access through the southeastern set of steps to a square platform. The platform features an octagonal opening at the top, about 7.5 metres across, that rests on 16 pillars. This photo shows the sight that greets the visitor at commencement of descent to the platform below ground. Steps for the western entrance are visible toward the bottom of the photo.
Nobody has marked this note useful