Friars of the monastic order of St. Augustine arrived in Goa 1572 CE. Needing accommodation, they constructed a small monastery, later enlarged, on Holy Hill in Old Goa. Subsequently, they added a church. The soft stone found in the area, a laterite - basically a clay, does not stand up well to the rains coming in off the Indian Ocean, year after year. The roof of the nave collapsed in 1846 CE. This is the view to the east from the chancel/choir end of the church, looking toward the nave and what remains of the facade.
In Goa, the year 1835 CE, religious orders were suppressed by the authorities and church properties fell into neglect.
Critiques | Translate
mirosu (8406) 2012-09-20 3:55
A very well composed image and great use of side lighting to create a nice feel and excellent depth. The play of light through the statue and onto the construction structures, with deepened shadows behind the wall make this picture even more powerful, enhanced by the stark light and shadow contrast. Nicely done.