The church was created a minor basilica in 1946 by Pope Pius XII. It was built by the Jesuits in 1594 CE and houses the mortal remains of Francis Xavier - Goa's patron saint. A basalt stone tablet at the brow of the facade displays the Jesuit order's motto in Greek "IHS" - Iaeus Hominum Salvator, Jesus the Saviour. This is the only Goan church not covered in lime plaster. The original coat was removed in 1956 thereby revealing the red laterite underneath. The three doorways and six windows of the facade are flanked by elegant pillars and basalt detailing.
The geo coordinates for the basilica in Old Goa, east of Panjim, are: 15.30.03.41 N and 220.127.116.11 E
Nobody has marked this note useful