Gingee also pronounced, as "Shingee" is 37-km east of Thiruvannamalai. Gingee is famous for a fort complex dating back to 13th century, located on the 3 different hill summit covering 3-km boundary area. The Chola Dynasty built Gingee fort. The indomitable courage and valour of its erstwhile rulers made Father Pinments, a priest to call the Gingee Fort the "Troy of the East".
History Of The Fort The Gingee has an interesting history from 1383 to 1780, which is full of ups and downs. The Vijayanagar emperors, Marathas and the Mughals occupied it after the Cholas and it was in the hands of the French and British rulers also for sometime.
In 1638, Gingee went under control of Bijapur Sultanate from the hold of the Vijayanagar emperors. Then it went to Maratha hero Shivaji in 1677, to Mughal in 1690, to French in 1750 and to British in 1762. In Mughal period, Gingee became the head quarter of Arcot. In 18th century French occupied Gingee and kept it under occupation for 11 years, many of its sculptural antics of Gingee were then shifted to Pondicherry by them.
The fort of Gingee is really worth seeing. The historical monuments speak volumes about the past glory.According to a legend the name Gingee or Senji is derived from "Senji Amman", a virgin Goddess.
The massive walls of Gingee fort interconnect the 3 inaccessible hills- Krishnagiri, Chandrayandurg and Rajagiri. The three hills are disposed in the form of a triangle, while the main wall connecting is 20 meters thick. The top of the three hills form impregnable citadels, while the inner fort contains many fortifications and gates.
One has to pass through an uneven flight of steps along the rocky hill track (visible in the picture), which may make the visit to the fort a bit difficult.