Early morning at the Brihadeeswarar or better known as The BIG temple.
The Big temple of Thanjavur was called Rajarajeeswaram , abode of the Lord of Rajaraja Chola or the Temple for Lord Iswara built by Raja Raja Chola the great. With the fall of the Cholas, Thanjavur was resurrected by the Nayaks and Marathas during that time frame the name was sanskritised and called Brahadeeswara temple.
Today the world knows Rajarajeeswaram as the big temple or Brahadeswara temple, an UNESCO world heritage monument, but what the world does not know is about the all round skills of its builder Rajaraja Chola the Great, The architectural intricacies of the temple and the sculptures and arts which have lasted a millennium.
Nobody has marked this note useful
Critiques | Translate
kmangwani (338) 2011-06-15 21:52
I had visited this temple recently and realize this scale and the fineness of the sculptures. I too was there in the afternoon with the sun overhead. Would love to see this image during the golden hour.
erdna (5711) 2011-07-06 12:32
I like the intricate details of India's Temples.. Hopefully someday I can visit your country. the scale of the temples call for more frontal shots than oblique perspectives.
- Copyright: Anupam Deb (anupam06) (769)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2011-03-11
- Categories: Architecture, Artwork
- Camera: Canon 450D (Digital Rebel XSi), Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM, circular polarizer
- Exposure: f/14.0, 1/80 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Indian temples and architecture [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2011-06-15 0:55