The Mettur Dam is a large dam in India built in 1934. It was constructed in a gorge, where the River Kaveri enters the plains. The dam is one of the oldest in India. It provides irrigation facilities to Salem, Tiruchirappali and Thanjavur district for 271,000 acres (1,100 kmē) of farm land.
The total length of the dam is 1700 meters. The dam creates Stanley Reservoir. The Mettur Hydro Electrical power project is also quite large. The dam, the park, the major Hydro Electric power stations and hills on all sides make Mettur a tourist attraction. Upstream from the dam is Hogenakal Falls.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: SIDDHARTHAN RAJARAMAN (siddhu_myl) (32)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2007-08-31
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon Digital IXUS i zoom
- Exposure: f/6.3, 1/400 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2007-10-08 2:37