St Mary's Church located at Fort St George, is the oldest Anglican church East of Suez and also the oldest British building in India. This church building started in 1678 and services commenced in 1680. The spire was completed in 1710. The church is dedicated to St. Mary the Blessed virgin, under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of London. The building with its three arched aisles has a bomb-proof roof. This church offering services from 1680 and was the formative place of worship for the British living in Madras.