It was persecution by the Portuguese that brought the Jews to Cochin in the early 16th century - plus, of course, an offer of land by the local raja. The Paradesim Jews came originally from the Middle East, and it is after them that the synagogue is named. The present structure, the original dated from 1568 CE, including the tiled roof and clock tower, was rebuilt with the assistance of the Dutch in 1664, after the Portuguese trashed it in 1662 CE. It is located in a cul-de-sac of Jew Town on the eastern side of the island of Cochin, near Cochin Castle. Geo coordinates for reference in Google Earth are: 126.96.36.199 N, 188.8.131.52 E, with an elevation of 7 metres.