The Church of St. John's in the Wilderness is one of the most hauntingly beautiful and oldest Churches in the lake town of Nainital. Here's a bit about it from Wikipedia: "The church of St. John in the Wilderness was established in 1844 and is located on the north end of town (Mallital), about half a mile north-west of the Naina Devi temple. The church was so named by Daniel Wilson, the Bishop of Calcutta, who, after falling ill during a visit to Nainital in 1844 to lay the foundation of the church, was obliged to sleep in an unfinished house on the edge of the forest. A brass plaque on the altar is inscribed with names of the victims of the Landslip of 1880."
Note: The derelict graveyard behind the church has the mortal remains of some of those who were killed in the landslide of 1880, and is worth visiting, but be careful as the place is highly overgrown.
Nobody has marked this note useful