Thiksey Gompa or Thiksey Monastery is a Tibetan Buddhist monastery and the largest gompa in central Ladakh.
The architecture of the monastery resembles the Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet, the former official seat of the Dalai Lamas. Thus, Thiksey Monastery is also known as "Mini Potala".
The monastery is located on a hill slope at an altitude of 11,800 ft above sea level.
One of the main points of interest is the Maitreya Temple where it contains a 15 metres (49 ft) high statue of Maitreya Buddha - the largest such statue in Ladakh covering two storey of the building.
- Copyright: Monica Chi (chimoni) (19)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2013-08-27
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon 7 D, 24-105 f4 L IS USM
- Exposure: f/18.0, 1/100 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2013-10-18 1:17