Hemis Gompa (Monastery) is the largest monastery of Ladakh (Northern most part of India) at an altitude of approx 3500 meters above sea level.
Ladakh is predominantly Buddhist (similar to Tibet), perhaps the harshest weather has made them the most kind hearted people.
Guru Padmasambhava had visited Tibet and introduced Buddhism in the 8th century. This is the largest statue in Hemis (45 kms from Leh town).
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Ashok Kumar (ashok_delhi17) (187)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2009-06-22
- Categories: Artwork
- Camera: Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF-S 17-85 mm IS USM
- Exposure: f/7.1, 1/5 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2011-09-09 7:12