It was built at the eastern end of Rajpath (formerly Kingsway) to commemorate the Indian and British soldiers who gave up their lives in WWI as well as the NWFP and third Afghan War. An eternal flame burns in memory of unknown soldiers who died in the 1971 Indo-Pakistan war. An honour guard is on duty 24/7 and they rotate among the three services; army, navy and air force. The flags flying overhead are of the three services, as well. In this photograph, the view is to the west. Two kilometres away is Vijay Chowk, and then there is the rise of Raisina Hill leading to Lutyen's ornate iron gates (additional 500 metres) and the Jaipur column. The dome of the Rashtrapati Bhavan is vaguely visible in the distance.
This is New Delhi. When the King Emperor George V came to the city for the Royal Durbar held in 1911 to proclaim his coronation as Emperor of India, he used the occasion to announce that the capital of India would be moved from Calcutta to Delhi.
Note: India Gate and Delhi Gate should not be confused with each other. Delhi Gate (centuries older) is the southernmost gate of Shahjahanabad, located in the southeast corner of Old Delhi on Netaji Subhash Marg; and this is north of India Gate. Geo coordinates for the Delhi Gate, which may be located in Google Earth, are: 220.127.116.11 N and 77.14.26.05 E
Nobody has marked this note useful