Photos

Photographer's Note

I took this shot at Esplanade Crossing..
About Esplanade:-
Esplanade (Bengali: এসপ্ল্যানেড) is an area in central Kolkata, earlier known as Calcutta, in the Indian state of West Bengal. This is not a conventional esplanade in the sense that the place is not exactly situated alongside a waterbody. However, the river Ganges, also known as the Ganga or the Hooghly, is located nearby. This esplanade is located in the heart of the city and is one of the busiest portions.
The Esplanade was the name given to the northern portion of jungle, which later formed the Maidan. In olden days, it stretched from Dhurmotollah (now Lenin Sarani) to Chandpal Ghat on the Hooghly River. In the days of Warren Hastings, it formed a favourite promenade for 'elegant walking parties'. The five principal streets of Kolkata abutted on it, says Sophia Goldborne, who wrote in 1780. Both Daniell and William Baillie give a picture of Esplanade as it appeared in the closing years of the eighteenth century. The old Government House and the Council House are conspicuous objects in each drawing. Danielle presents an unfamiliar addition view in the shape of two elephants with a crowd of attendants.Bourne & Shepherd, photographic studio was established here in 1867 by British photographers, Samuel Bourne and Charles Shepherd, and still exist here.
The strengthening of British power, subsequent to their victory in the Battle of Plassey was followed by the construction of the new Fort William, in 1758. The European inhabitants of Kalikata gradually forsook the narrow limits of the old palisades and moved to around the Maidan .
he street named Esplanade Row, finds a mention in the map of 1784, running from Dhurmotollah right on to the banks of the river at Chandpal Ghat, passing on its way Government House and Council House, both facing south. Subsequently, it was divided by the gardens of Government House into two parts, Esplanade Row (East) and Esplanade Row (West).Esplanade Row (West) now runs between Government Place (West) and Strand Road, through the High Court. Esplanade Row (East) has been renamed Sidhu Kanu Dahar and occupies the northern end of the Maidan.
As a result of the movement of Europeans from the old palisades in the eighteenth century, Esplanade Row took on a new look. The most important public buildings and imposing private houses lined the northern side of the Esplanade, facing the Maidan on the south. “Esplanade Row,” wrote Mrs. Fay, “seems to be composed of palaces.”

aleXundar, macjake, ikeharel, krzychu30, fabbs99 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 739
Points: 12
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Indrasish Guha (Indrasish) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 260 W: 4 N: 687] (2833)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH