I took this shot at Esplanade Tram Depot..
This is a new tram manufactured by Calcutta Tram Company.. You can see the sentence “Explore The Flavours Of Kolkata” and some small thumbnail on the body of the tram.. My point of view is about The “Places of interest in Kolkata”..
Places of Interest in Kolkata:-
Kolkata, India, has been nicknamed the City of Palaces and also the City of Joy. City of Palaces comes from the numerous palatial mansions built all over the city and City of Joy comes from the lively and friendly and loving behavior of all the citizens all over the places making the city more lively and enjoyable .During the British colonial era from 1700 to 1912, when Kolkata (then known as Calcutta) was the capital of British India, Kolkata witnessed a spate of frenzied construction activity of buildings largely influenced by the conscious intermingling of Neo-Gothic, Baroque, Neo-Classical, Oriental and Islamic schools of design. Unlike many north Indian cities, whose construction stresses minimalism, the layout of much of the architectural variety in Kolkata owes its origins to European styles and tastes imported by the British and, to a much lesser extent, the Portuguese and French.
The buildings were designed and inspired by the tastes of the English gentleman around and the aspiring Bengali Babu (literally, a nouveau richeBengali who aspired to cultivation of English etiquette, manners and custom, as such practices were favourable to monetary gains from the British).
Today, many of these structures are in various stages of decay. Some of the major buildings of this period are well maintained and several buildings have been declared as heritage structures. Conservation efforts are patchy and are often affected by problems of litigation, tenant troubles, ownership disputes, old tenancy laws and a lack of funds.
1. Museum and Libraries:- The Victoria Memorial, The Indian Museum, The Marble Palace, Birla Industrial & Technological Museum, Science City, The Jorasanko Thakur Bari, Gurusaday Museum, Jawahar Shishu Bhavan, Sabarna Sangrahashala, National Library of India, Asiatic Society etc.
2. British Administrative Offices:- Calcutta High Court, Bankshall Court, Raj Bhavan (Government House), Town Hall, Writers' Building , General Post Office, Esplanade Manisons, Howrah station etc.
3. Historic Hotels:- Grand Hotel and The Great Eastern Hotel.
4. Parks:- Maidan, Eco Park New Town, Millenium Park, Rabindra Sarobar, Eliot Park, Salt Lake Central Park etc.
5. Statues and Memorial:- Shaheed Minar, Lascar War Memorial, Subhas Chandra Bose, Rabindra Nath Tagore, Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar, Sir James Outram, David Hare, Karl Marx etc.
6. Ganga Ghats( Ganges Shore): Prinsep Ghat, Outram Ghat, Babu Ghat, Bagh Bazar Ghat, Aheritola Ghat etc.
7. Lovers Spot:- Central Park, Elliot Park, Maidan, Nalban, Rabindra Sarobar, Citizens Park, Prinsep Ghat, Millenium Park, Nandan, Subhas Sarovar, Outram Ghat,New Town Eco Park etc.
8. Worship Places:- Dakshineswar Kali Temple, Kalighat Kali Temple, Birla temple, Belur Math, Tipu Sultan Mosque, Nakhoda Mosque, St. Paul’s Cathedral, St. John's Church, Greek Orthodox Church etc.
9. Bridges:- Rabindra Setu(Howrah Bridge), Vidyasagar Setu, Vivekanda Setu, Nivedita Setu etc.
Also have many Malls and Markets, Book Depot, Uncountable British Era Buildings, North Kolkata etc..
Thanks for your visit..
Critiques | Translate
psamaddar (1089) 2013-07-24 1:48
Good picture taken with the reflection. Nice angle and perspective.
Good color aswell. Tfs..
krzychu30 (15260) 2013-07-24 1:57
it´s your another great approach to the trasportation theme.And also this time the end result you achieved is fabulous!It´s a new tram,but I can clearly see here the reference to the old tram you´ve posted on TE.
I like also th eway you composed the scene,especially the puddle with so lovely reflections.Excellently considered and executed scene my friend!
Wish You a nice day
lousat (71411) 2013-07-24 2:53
Hi Indrasish,the tram is new but the style is always the same,typical of India,whit a lot of colors everywhere.A great capture despite the dark light and perfect details too,i like the reflections on the wet road.Have a nice evening and thanks,Luciano
sdnpicz (195) 2013-07-24 3:50
So nice capture!
M missing new trams of Koklata. Hope when i'll visit again will see or may have a ride. Hmmm... new ones are colourful!
Nice captured with perfect timing to get reflection of the tram as well as of the man walking by. Well composed. That tree and that crow! :D
Thanks for sharing.
kordinator (14831) 2013-07-24 5:24
Fantastic street life scene,excellent colored.
adidas5nb (4368) 2013-07-24 6:04
lovely pov and framing.like the rain wet road with the tram's reflection on the puddle.also the bright in the gloomy rainy weather is so attractive.
Noel_Byrne (20085) 2013-07-24 8:23
You do a fantastic job in showing the positive sides of Kolkata. I have wanted to visit India for a long time now, but if and when I get the chance, Kolkata will definitely my first port of call. How could I resist a city with a name like the City of Palaces! This tram looks great, a great way to boost awareness, and bonus points on having its reflection too!
Best wishes from Ireland
subhendu_bagchi (25105) 2013-07-24 19:24
a nice flavour of Kolkata in this frame. The nice but old trum with the reflection in puddle is looking nice but I think offer some more space in front of it. You managed the light well where the colours of this frame are superb. Nice to see the man at left. Tfs this view.
pajaran (47810) 2013-07-24 21:45
Vrlo intetresantan i dobar tekst, sa datim podacima ...
Lep pogled na tramvaj i trenutak sa gospodinom ...
Dobar trenutak snimka, kontrast, lepe boje.
Lep tramvaj sa reklamama i refleks na vodi.
Imajte lep i uspesan dan, sve najbolje.
Intetresantan and very good text, with the given data ...
Nice view of tram and a moment with Mr. ...
A good time recording, contrast, beautiful colors.
Nice tram with advertisements and reflection on the water.
Have a great and successful day, all the best.
Miguel82 (19372) 2013-07-26 1:39
Very complete comment, useful for future visitors dear Indrashish, it looks like Sofia's tramway, same size and yellow and blue colors
An excellent document
ikeharel (51473) 2013-07-27 2:48
Joli colors of the passing tram, modern vhicle for tourists I suppose.
Managed nicely with the tree on BG, nd the inclussion of the man in white passing by.
A fine composition. Enjoy your weekend.
macjake (51374) 2013-08-08 11:02
a very interesting read, lots of useful information there. I'd love to get a first hand look at some of those older British buildings, too bad alot are in decay....but perhaps thats good for photography though!
you always give us something to learn, something to think about.
fine post from India
- Copyright: Indrasish Guha (Indrasish) (2727)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2013-07-10
- Categories: Daily Life, Festivals, Food, Humorous, Nature, Ceremony, Transportation, Architecture, Artwork, Event
- Camera: Nikon D200 DSLR, 18-135 Nikkor
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2013-07-24 1:34