India is the seventh largest and second most populous country in the world. With acceleration in economic growth, India has become one of the fastest growing developing countries. This has created a rift between poor and rich; 22 per cent of the population lives below the income poverty line. Due to unemployment, increasing rural-urban migration, attraction of city life and a lack of political will India now has one largest number of street child in the world.
Street children are subject to malnutrition, hunger, health problems, substance abuse, theft, , harassment by the city police and railway authorities, as well as physical and sexual abuse. Though Government of India has taken some corrective measures and declared child labor as illegal.
SOME THING MORE TO SAY……
· There are more than 100 million street and working children in India.
· They are eking out a grim existence in India's towns and cities.
· Children as young as six have to resort to car washing, begging, carrying luggage, fetching tea or working in small industries to support themselves ... and sometimes their families.
· More than 20% of India’s Gross National Product is produced by children….
By courtesy:- wikipedia and skcv…
Critiques | Translate
Polonaise (5802) 2008-08-04 8:55
Great stuff, Subir...
Her eyes... Your note...The wide angle that exposes EVERYTHING - mercilessly.
There is nothing to hide for the world...
Keep running, mate...
wolf38 (30560) 2008-08-04 9:09
Hello Subir. An impressing journalistic photo. The story makes shocked. The view of the girl says everything. It becomes time that in the social conditions something changes. Best regards, Wolfgang.
devimeuxbe (58557) 2008-08-04 10:31
This is an excellent portrait with a niec vision on the city around. Her glance is strong.
songsaboutjane (78) 2008-08-04 10:45
Very impressive. Such a nice frame. Very nice. Thanks for sharing
Morac (27663) 2008-08-04 11:46
Thank you for this beautiful portrait and this reminder of the difficulty of the lives of children in India.
The eyes of this child is intense and it speaks.
aadilj (18102) 2008-08-04 23:17
The note sure is something I have been thinking and theorising about for a long time and the image is a nice commentary on the way things are. however, the innocence and hope are well preseved in those eyes. great shot
kiks (11749) 2008-08-05 2:23
Hi Subir, the intense look at this children eyes ilustrate, unfortunally so well the story of your note. How can we change this??
Thank you for your post that i hope will 'wake up' some people and work harder on the improvement of the life conditions.
dArpAn (499) 2008-08-05 6:52
What a provocative image...
And your note is as enlightening as the image itself...
Oh the sadness in her eyes - as if she is questioning us, "Why me???"...
Fraipont (226) 2008-08-07 12:18
Nice and expresive look. Very good work on the light !
- Copyright: SUBIR BASAK (photographer123) (6246)
- Genre: People
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2008-06-01
- Categories: Decisive Moment
- Camera: Nikon D40X, 18-55mm
- Exposure: f/4, 1/60 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): CHILDREN OF INDIA, your's favorite, Do you care about us?...., ** Noborder's favourite India photos (III) [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2008-08-04 8:43
- Favorites: 1 [view]