From Wiki: Jagannath is a Sanskrit name used to describe a deity form of Krishna. The term means master (nath) of the universe (jagat). Jagannath is considered amongst Vaishnavas to be a very merciful form of Krishna. The oldest and most famous Jagannath deity is in the city of Puri, in Orissa, India (the city is known to many as Jagannath Puri) where each year the famous Rath Yatra festival takes place. Jagannath is worshipped by Hindus all over India. The Jagannath Temple in Puri is regarded as one of the four most sacred Hindu pilgrimage places in India.
For More info go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagannath
This photo of the lord was taken from a temple in Bhubaneswar.
- Copyright: sujit mahapatra (sujit) (316)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2007-11-25
- Categories: Daily Life, Decisive Moment
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Incredible INDIA, india, ! ! ! * * * * Colors of India * * * * ¡ ¡ ¡, Orissa [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2008-01-28 8:54