Chen Clan Academy, also known as Ancestral Temple of the Chen Family, was built as a college in 1888. Chen Clan Academy was designated as the Guangdong Museum of Folk Art in 1959. With its typical magnificent architecture features, the academy is honored as the representative of Cantonese architectures and folk arts.
The Academy is made up of an academic complex covering 13200 square meters.The complex consists of 19 buildings with nine halls and six courtyards which are connected by corridors and ride north to south in a symmetric pattern.
The buildings in the Chen Clan Academy are fully decorated with wood carving, stone carving, brick carving, pottery, plaster and iron engraving. Brick carvings in the Chen Clan Academy lie on the inner walls of each great halls.
The one on the east wall (shown here) features the old story "Liu Qing taming 'the Wolf'", with more than 40 figures in the picture, describing the lively scene of the man Liu Qing taming the wild horse from the west named "the wolf" in the time of Northern Song. Each figure has a distinguished facial expression and pose.
Nobody has marked this note useful