The Preah Khan temple complex situated at the northern edge of the Angkor Archaeological Park is one of the most significant buildings erected during the ancient Khmer empire. Dedicated by the great king Jayavarman VII to his father in 1191, Preah Khan serves today as an outstanding example of a large linear temple complex in a dense jungle setting.
This complex, which means "the sacred sword," was a Buddhist university, a temple, a kind of monastery, and a city. It was built by Jayavarman VII and dedicated to his father. Much has not been restored at this site and, in fact, masonry clutters many of the courtyards, making some exploration hazardous.
The temple is flat in design, with a basic plan of successive rectangular galleries around a Buddhist sanctuary complicated by Hindu satellite temples and numerous later additions.
Nobody has marked this note useful