Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great maurajn 2005-04-23 12:16

I like what you have done here with the light play and using black and white format. I find it a very appealing photo.

For critique to do even better, here are my suggestions: If you are choosing symmetry when photographing architecture, it needs to be precise. I don't think you were quite lined up perpendicular to the center of the arch. Get as close as you can, and use photoediting to do the rest. Your 'horizon' is not quite straight, and also, I would suggest the cropping be the same on the pillars on both sides of the arch. If you can't do that, then include neither. This is a very demanding type of photo, and occasionally you see them done really well on this site, but more often, the symmetry is not quite on.

For another look, you could choose to move definitavely to the right of your position. The small doorway is not a key feature here, and it would be minimized by an alternate position. Try lining yourself up perpendicular to the center of the stairwell, or off to the far right wall, maybe getting a bit of the next bannister upwards?

I'm going to have a go at a workshop, hopefully I can post it today, if I'm not over my limit.

Cheers, Maura

Old 04-23-2005, 07:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To maurajn: Thx

thx for your critic! this is really a very interesting one!
the fact is that I wondered on what to choose : colours or b&w and i did not pay attention to the symmetry. I put my back against the wall and I took the pic.
actually i was not totally happy of the shot because of the doorway. but i could not do better, or this is what i thought!
thanks again. regards, DAvid (waiting for your WS !!)
Old 04-23-2005, 08:04 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To maurajn: Thx

Workshop is there now, hope it helps.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:26 PM
TE Junior Member

nice workshop.
i like the more horizontal lignes. ====
i like the idea of getting out the left wall.
but the second arch is not taken entire anymore.
apart this problem, the work is a good one.
regards, David
Old 04-24-2005, 12:06 AM
TE Newbie

When I got to playing with the cropping, I felt that the full length of the stairs needed to be included on the right side, I think it would be distracting not to have them there. With one column completely gone, I feel the eye moves to the stairs and away from the arch, and as there is no attempt at symmetry, none is required... not sure if that makes sense or not, and it is just my own tastes... I've noticed taht symmetry and horizons are particularly important to me, as I view photos, but certainly not to the same degree to other people. It is fascinating to observe different tastes and also to identify my own tastes, great site this is, for all these reasons.