Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great macjake 2014-06-11 6:57

Hi John
great to be back, great to see your latest shots.
I just couldn't help but pick this beauty of a subject.

too bad this guy will end up in ruin, i bet in her day she was fantastic.

37 rooms eh? thats about 33 more than what I live in now! haha

when I look at these golden oldies, I often wonder how they appeared in their genuine state - not the 'refurbished' state we see them in these tours we take nowadays. Did they REALLY look that clean and beautiful, or were they more rustic looking and dirty as one may think due to the era in the pre-soap, pre-shower age :)

Nonetheless, its a beauty of a subject, beauty of a photo as we can clearly see the stone work and the windows which are sporadically broken and smashed out.

I'd still try to get inside :)
nice shot John

cheers
craig

Old 06-11-2014, 02:22 PM
TE Expert

Default To macjake: Destined to be a total ruin.............

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your kind words!

Yes, this place must have been wonderful in its heyday and it's a shame it's been allowed to decline into wrack and ruin. In fact, I think it's only 20 ir 30 years since it was last inhabited and I suspect that the costs of renovation would be prohibitive.

I'm not sure if it would actually be that easy to get inside this house because, although it's decaying quickly, it still lies in a pretty presigious estate where the landowner and all his lackeys are pretty active - we passed a few during our walk - so any interference with this property might just end with a visit to the local police station.

Yes, it's interesting to think what it would have been like when it was lived in all those years ago. Probably not grubby or dirty at all as there would probably have been dozens of servants, maids and butlers to keep the place spick and span. And the Romans, over 2,000 years ago, had baths and scrubbed themselves from top to toe every day!

Cheers,

John.