Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great tyro 2014-06-09 7:24

Hi Roger,

How appropriate that I should see your latest photograph just now - last night I was watching on TV Robert Redford's movie "The Conspirator".

I assume that the light here was extremely poor and I can see from your exif data that you were pretty much pushing things to the limit with an ISO of 6400 but, nonetheless, you have managed this photograph extremely well indeed. O.K., there's a little "noise" but that is unavoidable and, to my mind at least, it doesn't detract from the quality of the image at all. The lighting (and your use of it) is superb and Lincoln's statue stands out proudly against a much darker background. Yet we can still clearly read the dedication to him on the wall above.

A very well and thoughtfully composed photograph with lovely light and colours, perfect exposure and exquisite details throughout.

Excellent!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM
TE Newbie

Default To tyro: Thanks

John, thanks for your comments. Yes, I was just barely able to take this shot under the circumstances, and I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out - particularly the lighting on the inscription. I have since purchased a tripod, having finally been convinced that it has its uses. But I worry that in situations like this one, having a tripod will only get me to take better lit shots rather than making use of shadow, which I think in this image is very useful.

Roger
Old 06-09-2014, 03:23 PM
TE Expert

Default Tripods..........

Hi Roger,

Yes, I agree - a tripod would have really been a boon in a situation such as this. But I note your mention of shadows - by which I presume you mean the shadows of peoples' heads in the foreground - and, of course, you wouldn't have been able to capture those using a long exposure on a tripod.

I have a tripod but I find that I tend to keep it in the boot (trunk) of my car all the time and I really mainly use it if I'm doing some landscape shots which require a long exposure and a small aperture. I find carting a tripod around a real pain in the bum as I don't seem to be able to find a comfortable way of carrying it for long distances.

The other thing, of course, is that many places forbid the use of tripods - various churches, cathedrals and so on - and I'd be quite surprised if you were allowed to set up a tripod where you took this picture. Often the quoted reason for banning tripods is that they impose a health & safety risk in that some clown might fall over your tripod and break their neck - but I suspect that in some places it's just an excuse for tourist areas to sell you their own photographs!

Best Wishes,

John.