Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2014-05-23 14:57

Hello John,

This is a lovely old house, brimming with character from its tall stepped roofs, to its turreted middle. It deserves better than to drop into ruination! A rich laird, or retired doctor, could make a great hotel from this!
You have composed the photograph beautifully, with a good lead, f/g bushes for anchorage and details which are pin sharp.
The main debate seems to be the clouds, which are a little oe. It is possible to improve them somewhat. I have done a quick w/s but with more time and care, it could be better.
See what you think.

Looking forward to meeting up,
Bev :-)

Old 05-23-2014, 10:53 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: An Excellent Workshop........

Hi Bev,

Thank you so much for your kind remarks and also for doing what is a really superb workshop!

I took this with my wife's little Canon G10 compact camera which I tend to take with me when I go on my weekly walks with three or four other ancient souls from the camera club. It's a lot lighter to carry on walks than my big DSLR but it's not quite so good at dealing with strong contrasts as in this picture which was taken very much against the light. A bit like the difference between driving a Mini and a Rolls Royce - or playing a little battery powered keyboard compared to a Steinway grand piano.

Yes, I did darken the sky a little and also lightened the house too, using layer masks and levels, but your workshop has had a splendid effect on those overly bright clouds. And thank you so much for not only doing the workshop but also taking the time and effort to explain exactly what you did too - another tip to add to my armementarium!

Yes, I'm looking forward to meeting up again with yourself and Len - only about 10 days to go! The Peak District is an area with which I'm not at all familiar but hopefully there'll be plenty of camera fodder. And now I'm just sitting with my first glass of wine of the evening - best get the old liver in tune for the meeting in Buxton!

Kindest Regards,

John.