Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Angshu 2014-04-21 9:39

Hello Kasia
Impressive picture...and one that inspires me...
The timing couldn't be perfect and the spotlight effect is great. What I like also is the details on the wall...amazing!
With Regards
Angshu

PS : We would be going to Uzbekistan 12 days later...any suggestions you can give would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Angshu: Uzbekistan

Hi Angshuman
It depends what you have prebooked and which places you're planning to visit.

One tip I can definitely give - if you get approached by one of the guards at Registan, Samarkand, who will offer to open one of the minarets for you for 5000 som (or something like that) so you can climb to the top - give it a miss. You can't see much from there, never mind take photos.

Please do let me know if you have any questions!
Best wishes
Kasia
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM
TE Expert

Thank you Kasia...We'll definitely keep that in mind.

We plan to visit Khiva, Samarkand & Bukhara, apart from Tashkent. Plan to stay 2 to 3 days in each place...

Which place according to you is the best for photography in general? We would be interested in markets, people and monuments of course!
Thanks again...appreciate your response

Best Regards
Angshu
Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Uzbekistan

Hi Angshu
All those three places are very photogenic (I didn't see much of Tashkent). I would say Bukhara is best for market stalls packed with really beautiful traditional handicrafts. In Samarkand, the bazaar is near the Bibi-Khanym Mosque. It looks a bit new/modern at first sight but is great for close ups of the stalls (fruit, nuts etc.) and you will meet lots of colourful people there. In Khiva, the souvenir stalls in the Old City are not that interesting in my opinion but you can see a real local market just outside the East Gate.
All three cities are great for people and monuments. In Samarkand the grandest monuments are scattered in a few places around the city. Other than the main buildings Samarkand looks very kind of renovated. It's a good idea to go to see the real old city just to the east of pedestrianised Tashkent Street. In Khiva, don't miss the residential streets with mud houses within the walled city near the North Gate.
I hope you have a great trip!
Kasia
Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 AM
TE Expert

Thanks for the fantastic suggestions Kasia...
Have a great day & week end...
Best Regards
Angshu