Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great tyro 2014-04-06 3:35

Hello Ann,

You've written a very interesting and informative note, so much so that it inspired me quickly to check out the Hurtigruten website. So was this the "Round Trip" from Bergen to Kirkenes? Did you have many opportunities to get off the ship and explore various places? You must tell me more!

Your photograph inspires me even more and the morning light, together with the falling snow, adds a wonderful and mysterious quality to the image, the ship appearing to sit in a pool of liquid silver and set against a wonderfully dark and sinister sky. And is that land or an iceberg in the distance on the right?

Gorgeous light and colours, perfect exposure and exquisite details and sharpness.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: Round trip

Hi John,
Thanks for you very kind comments and interest. We did the full round trip and it was amazing. I think we chose the best ship in that it was stabilised and had fabulous art nouveau interior decoration, and the food was excellent. The ship was not full, particularly on some stretches. I would love to go again in the summer. There is plenty to do and you can get off at several ports for excursions or just a wander around town. One excursion dropped us off at one port and we rejoined it two ports further down (on an island close to the Lofotens). When the stops are short you can still get off at the quay for awhile. There is always something interesting to view. This not a traditional cruise ship and life on board is casual but still to a high standard (very clean and attractive cabins and communal areas). We met some super people and the staff were first class.
Best wishes, Ann
p.s. I avoided the northbound traditional crossing of the Arctic Circle where ice cubes get put down your neck in exchange for a small drink of spirit (all on deck at -6 degrees). I did however do the southbound spoonful of cod liver oil (which I have always liked). We got to keep the spoon.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 AM
TE Expert

Default Sounds like a great trip.....!

Hi Ann,

That sounds like a great trip and one I would certainly consider. Yvonne and I have bever been on a cruise and I've always been a bit put off by the idea that cruising might be something to keep for when I am just a bit older and more decrepit than I am just now (if that could possibly be imagined). I've never liked the idea of "organised fun", always preferring to "do my own thing" when on holiday but, if there's plenty of opportunity to explore different places oneself, then this might well be right up our street.

Actually, I think I'd probably be "up" for both those challenges crossing the Arctic Circle - a chunk of ice down the back of your neck could well be worth a slug of the hard stuff and I certainly wouldn't object to a draught of cod liver oil on the way back - I remember as a very young child that we used to get free orange juice and cod liver oil - I never much liked that horrid and dreadfully sweet orange concentrate stuff but I used to glug down the cod liver oil straight from the bottle.

Looking forward to seeing more of your lovely pictures from the Arctic!

Kind Regards,

John.