Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2014-03-09 3:28

Hello Malgo,
I didn't know you had been on Easter Island too.
The fact that it is so remote, is equally attractive as the mystery of the Moai. But there's the price tag ...
Here you present us some statues together with the view over the ocean. The Moai lying completely backwards is tired of always the same view :) Anyway, they don't have to work at their tan anymore.
What I like is that you can approach these monolithic statues very close. There seems to be no fence or foreclosure. Apparently there is no need to protect the island's historic heritage.
Best regards, Paul

Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 AM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: Moai

I saw the Bulent's photo and your comment. Most of moai are facing inland but not all. One group of seven moai, called Ahu Akivi is facing ocean and besides, they are oriented so that they exactly face sunset during the Spring Equinox and have their backs to the sunrise during the Autumn Equinox. Such an astronomical precise feature is seen only at this location on the island.
I spent a quite long time, taking into account how small is this island, six days, so I visited most places. The most fascinating are of course moai, but another thing that is very interesting is the Rongorongo - a system of glyphs discovered in the 19th century on Easter Island that appears to be writing. Numerous attempts at decipherment have been made, none successfully.
Warm regrads MAlgo
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default thanks

Thank you Malgo,

This is the first time that I hear of the Rongorongo.

Best wishes,
Paul
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
TE Expert

I have a small wooden souvenir with this script, maybe I will post a photo of it (in Workshop, not to violate TOS ).
Good night

MAlgo