Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great tyro 2014-03-05 0:51

Hello Rosemary,

What a fascinating note you have written.

You have, of course, shown us these Quiver trees before but to me they still look remarkably hard and "woody" and it is difficult to believe that they are succulents. I know that Baobabs are succulents because I remember asking one of our guides in Madagascar if their wood was used for building and suchlike and was told that the trunks of these massive "upside down trees" consisted largely of water and their substance was of no use whatever for construction. But, as I say, these Quivers look much "woodier" to me. Fascinating.

This is a striking picture and, like yourself, I don't find the two or three little patches of lens flare on the left at all distracting. The star rays from the sun piercing the upper parts of the tree are delightful and I presume that was simply a natural effect and not enhanced with a "star" filter or similar.

A very fine and strong composition with lovely vibrant colours, spot-on exposure and, as always, exquisite details and sharpness.

Wonderful!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 AM
TE Expert

Smile To tyro: Star Burst

Hello John. Thanks for your comments on this one. Actually I thought of you when I decided to post it as I remember a 'conversation' we has about controlling lens flare. This was a situation where I was very happy to leave it in the shot as, imo, it adds to the mood and composition.

The star-burst is natural and what I was aiming for when I composed the shot, a small aperture is necessary to achieve this result.

Hope all is well with you.

Rosemary