Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great MJR 2014-03-04 2:30

John

You are taking a short cut ! And at only 14:17 you were not running out of daylight, even in February !
I assumed from your previous post that you had taken the road to the dam at Loch Lyon and returned on THAT little road. Like Craig I have enjoyed touring the area by map, as I often do from these posts. In the event, what with your delay, the longer road might have done you well.
Your photo of course is as well executed as ever, brilliant lifelike colours and perfect exposure and all. ( note the refusal to be drawn into POV or capture or control of the light expressions ! )
And for me, a near tangible feeling of being there, in the mist and mizzle, the wind ruffling the grasses, and moaning around the hillsides. And that road, drawing me on into the sunlight in the valley, just what I like !

Rgds
Martin

Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 AM
TE Expert

Default To MJR: Two different trips......!

Hello Martin,

Thank you again for your kind remarks!

This picture and the last one were, I'm afraid, taken on two entirely different occasions. This one was taken in February, 2012 and I took the shot after I had travelled up Glen Lyon as far as Bridge of Balgie and then was heading from there down past the dam at Lachan na Lairige near Ben Lawers (I hadn't reached it at this point) towards Loch Tay and then Killin and back to Pitlochry where we were staying.

The other picture (the one with the road sign warning of dangerous squirrels) was taken several months later in November, 2012. On that occasion I travelled farther up Glen Lyon past Bridge of Balgie and, though I didn't get as far as Loch Lyon itself, I took a right fork farther up the glen and reached Loch an Daimh, a smaller loch also feeding (after its dam) the River Lyon where I took this rather overprocessed picture as well as a few others. That day I simply returned back down Glen Lyon, retracing my steps all the way back via Fortingall.

After I had uploaded this picture, I thought it looked a bit uninspiring with just a lorry sitting on a road. (You and I are probably the only two people on TE who actually know what a "lorry" is as everyone nowdays seems to call them "trucks" - a word I always imagine refers to things which railway locomotives pull or push. Remember "Le camion le plus vite"? - Ettore Bugatti's rather disparaging description of W.O. Bentley's Le Mans cars?) Anyway, I'm pleased that you also appreciate the dim light, the dank wet coarse grassland and the clouds obscuring the distant mountain (probably Meall nam Tarmachan) in the background even though others don't!

Best Wishes,

John.