Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great InasiaJones 2014-01-28 18:02

Hi Craig,

I guess he became the new official figure of Havana, after the old lady died. His name is Ermenejildo Arencibia Griñan and I have him in my gallery as well. Lonely Planet have bought this photo when I came back from Cuba, so he might have appeared in one of their guides since then.

I like your version, which I found original, but was he posing for someone else? If you took him from this angle, it must have been to put emphasis on the big cigar. I also like the church in the background, creating a monochromatic image.

Well done!

André

Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 AM
TE Expert

Default To InasiaJones: the man

Hi Andre
thanks as always for your critiques...they're welcome anytime.
the man is posing this way because i positioned him this way. There's no way i was going to photograph him straight on....i wanted 3 things.....a unique angle of his cigar, the best bg to avoid an overly bright sky, and the brown colors of the cathedral to match his clothing.
personally I think it worked out very well. Especially because i'm a photographer who is just beginning to learn and experiment with peope as a subject. Gotta say, i'm very proud of this photo
Thanks again!
Cheers
Old 01-29-2014, 03:08 AM
TE Expert

Hi crazy Canucks!

Of course you can be proud of this shot! And even if you consider yourself a beginner in people photography, you already have an instinctive approach and lots of merit if you can direct your subject and get their collaboration to achieve the best results.

People very rarely happened to be in the best position and best location when you spot them, so unless you want to have a candid photo, it's up to you to find the right background and flattering angle to optimize your image, and this is what you've done here.

Now, the challenge is to do that with ordinary people who aren't standing in touristic spots, expecting to be paid in exchange of photo opportunities. It might need extra efforts in terms of persuasion, but the interaction is highly rewarding at a human level, with the privilege to connect with people that you probably wouldn't meet without the intermediary of your camera.

Kudos Craig!