Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great willperrett 2014-01-26 10:11

Hello Kristin
Was it a Tat's Convention, or was it just coincidence that they were all "sleeved"? Either way this is a delicious bit of candid grabbing. Well done. By the way, I don't know what ISO speed you were working with, but would it not be possible to up the ante in order to give yourself faster shutter speeds? 1/13 sec hand-held is always going to give the shakes.
Regards
Will

Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To willperrett: sleeves

it was taken at the opening night of an art show, not body art, but art for walls.
that said, it's not hard to find that many tattooed people in any part of asheville at any time. they just happened to come together here, and i liked the way they lined up

as for the shutter speed, thanks for the suggestions. i find it often comes down (at least for me) to a choice between fast shutter to combat the hand-held, yet slow enough to let in enough light to capture a moment sans flash. decisions, decisions!

thanks for the smile & happy sunday ~
kristin
Old 01-26-2014, 10:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Default shutter speed

Hi Kristin
I don't want to sound like the teacher I've been most of my life, and I suspect you know all this already, but... a rule of thumb to avoid camera shake is to set a shutter speed no slower than the focal length you are using: e.g. if you're on a standard, 50mm focal length it's not wise to go slower than 1/60 sec shutter speed; if you're shooting at 200mm, you're unlikely to get away with anything slower than 1/250; but if you're on a wide angle, say 24mm, you can probably go down to 1/25 sec. You may get away with it sometimes at slower speeds, but your ratio of sharp shots to dodgy ones will not be good. But you're often shooting in low-light, and don't want to use flash for obvious reasons. So if these minimum shutter speeds aren't fast enough to achieve a correct exposure, you can push the ISO speed higher. In the days of film, that meant taking a slow film out of the camera and replacing it with a "faster" film, i.e. one that was more light-sensitive, one that needed less light to record a satisfactorily-exposed image. But it's so much easier with digital: simply dial in a higher ISO number, which will have the effect of making the camera's sensor more light-sensitive, needing less light to grab your shot. You can change the ISO between each frame if need be, which we couldn't do in the days of film. The only down-side of using high ISO speeds is that noise is likely to increase, though modern cameras deal with noise pretty well, and a bit of noise is generally preferable to camera shake.

Sorry if that sounded like a lecture; even sorrier if I'm teaching you to suck eggs...

Will