Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2014-01-20 15:00

Hello Gert,
Although I was never in the former South Yemen, I know several people here who have visited it in the 90s and they all told me of Shibam. Also of Sayun and Tarim. But I haven't seen much pictures of the two latter.
In Sayun you surely found an excellent POV to show us this second Manhattan of the Hadramout.
The town looks very picturesque and impressive and many buildings have the rock colour of the mountain behind it. The white buildings are probably the newest ...
Did you also find Sayun a fairly dirty and empty place as you wrote of Shibam ?
Some people remark that they're surprised by the number of cars. While North Yemen in 1988 looked medieval at most places, there were also a lot of cars and expecially jeeps.
I also like the picture in the workshop. The Sultan's Palace looks huge and impressive with the two tiny men at the bottom of the wall. It also looks like an impregnable fortress.
Best regards, Paul

Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 AM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: not so dirty

Thanks Paul,
Shibam looked to me like a strange, overgrown village with limited sanitary arrangements, but Sayun was a normal town, not clinically clean but not alarmingly dirty.
I often thought, when travelling through Yemen, that Afghanistan could have looked like that without the wars. A country with a reasonably well functioning public administration where modern life met deep-rooted traditions. Fairly good roads between the major hubs, good hotels in the major cities, well educated bureaucrats - and totally veiled women and men carrying guns.
Regards,
Gert