Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great UlfE 2014-01-06 0:52

Hi Elena,

Superb festival photo. I love the mood created by the lamp backlight. The snowfall/rain (?) in backlight is very exciting and contributes to the attractiveness of the photo. I note that the photo is a slightly grainy because of the high ISO. I believe that other camera settings and another lens could have been a better choice. I am well aware though that you often do not have time to think about that. If you are not quick enough with your the photo opportunity will be gone forever. Happy New Year and have nice week!

Kind regards,

Ulf

P.S. I note with great pleasure that your appetite for posting photos seems to have returned

Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
TE Expert

Default To UlfE: photo quality etc

Hej Ulf,

thank you very much for such a detailed critique!
First of all, you are absolutely right concerning the very high ISO (actually, 12800 if you look at the "more photo info") and the grainy image... well, if I had a professional camera I presume image quality would have been better... but I can't imagine if I would have been able to hold a heavy professional camera (and a lens!) with only one hand and shoot photos at the same time...
Besides, the lighting conditions were very bad (with very strong backlight which created high contrast).

But, as you can see, in this situation I sadly had to sacrifice the quality of photos for the opportunity to capture the mood of the moment - and, in general, the moment itself!

all I wanted at that time was to take part in the carnival during the opening ceremony, and the fact that I did manage to even shoot some photos in such darkness, heavy snow (it was snow, not rain) and in the crowd of people rushing around me in hope to catch a flying orange) is amazing (at least, to me)

I am very glad that you saw in this photo what others failed to see - its mood.

Actually, when I decided to post it I knew that, from the technical point of view, it's not a good one and, judging by the subject of the photo, it may appeal to only very very few people - those who may be interested in such carnivals;

but I wanted to show a very rare moment - the moment of throwing oranges at the opening ceremony as it is a very important thing in the whole carnival: people come there on purpose to catch an orange - thus, they catch their future luck!

So it's sort of an "introductory photo".
Of course, other carnival photos which I plan to post are of a much better quality and more interesting (at least, from my point of view).

Quote:
I am well aware though that you often do not have time to think about that. If you are not quick enough with your the photo opportunity will be gone forever.
Exactly! and, on top of this, imagine trying to shoot photos and catch oranges at the same time!

Thanks again! a nice week to you, too!
Elena

I am trying to post as many photos as possible these days because I have free time on holidays and while I am again, as you said, interested in it.