Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great macjake 2014-01-05 12:13

Hi Mariusz
Uruguay? thats different :)
How was it there? did you venture out of the main city areas? was it safe at all times? We don't hear too much out this country...so many questions.

Its a keen collection of the 3 photos, but i must admit I enjoy the wide angle version the most, it seems to be the best balanced photo composition wise.

but I also like the photo you added as the photo taken and posted from before.

excellent light, excellent sharpness and details in all 3. Nice work.
see you around
craig

Old 01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To macjake: safety

Hi Craig,
We just did a one day trip to Montevideo by ferry from Buenos Aires. It is well doable in a day. Sometimes I regret that we did not pick the Colonia which is much closer and was the older capital of Uruguay (founded by Portuguese as opposed to Montevideo founded by Spanish later) with older architecture.
Guidebooks have scared us a lot so we prepared money belt and fake wallets. In the area mentioned as dangerous there were just some kids who were first asking for money, but when we gave them some money they wanted more and more and started to scream running after us and trying to reach into our pockets. But then we entered a shop and they left. Except for that I was carrying the expensive camera and my wife was well dressed and it was ok. We took a whole photo session in this and in other touristy areas most probably attracting a lot of attention but nobody bothered us. Taxis were very very cheap there so you could also jump from one place to another very fast. But we walked a lot. We did not have much time so we sticked to the touristy areas.
Recently I had a discussion with Maria from BA about the safety. It is sometimes hard to judge. She told me for example about one photographer who was recently killed for his photographic gear in daylight in the area which I walked with my wife before... We felt a bit strange in some areas of BA which were off the beaten track -once we took a wrong metro line and ended up in a dodgy area. It was interesting and I wanted to stay there and take more photos but people were looking at us very strangely and we took taxi and left.
I was a bit afraid to do the blue hour in BA which I regret a bit now...
In the touristic areas outside of the capital in Argentina people were very friendly, I think this is just the capitals.
Montevideo felt poorer than BA. I wanted to buy postcards or some photo albums but we could not find any. I had impression the kiosks had just several old looking magazines to sell as opposed to busy BA.
Still don't know what to think. I guess it is better safe than sorry
I definitely regret not having enough time/money to make a bigger trip around, especially in Argentina.
M

Last edited by mkamionka; 01-05-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Safety in Montevideo

Just read your note, quite true, not a safe place, never stopped there
But enjoyed Colonia, so quite typical city, quite safe cobbles streets, an old bullring and....the most impressive sunsets I have ever seen

Felt and is poorer that Buenos Aires

M