Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great batalay 2013-12-25 16:16

Hello Chris,

I have been much too busy to trek the latest photos at TE, but I am very happy to see something from you, when I do log onto this addictive site. You have indeed captured a symmetric aspect of Cordoba, the Spanish city that beyond others marries the elements of Moorish and Spanish architecture.

I recently posted a blog at National Geographic that I would love to have you peruse: A Defining Statue of Ataturk...

I wish you a (belated) Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Bulent

Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM
TE Expert

Default To batalay: Ataturk

You didn't mention in the NG article that Ataturk also stopped the Armenian genocide, with a military court martial of the 3 leaders responsible, but that's probably just as well, because it's still a very thorny issue and many Turks are still adamant there was no genocide.

Not sure if you knew but there has been a memorial in Canberra, Australia since 1985, the ONLY former enemy honored there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemal_A...rial,_Canberra

I read one recent article in Turkey that attempted to deconstruct Ataturk's significant achievements at Cannakale by simply dismissing them as Islamic soldiers fighting against the 'Crusaders'. Of course, I strongly disagreed. Nobody was trying to proselytize the Turks.