Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great tyro 2013-12-19 6:15

Hi Jason,

Well, I think La Gioconda certainly deserves all the admiration she has received over the centuries and I agree that she's still pretty good looking for a 500-year-old too!

I think your picture is brilliant - it really does capture the enthusiasm of the crowds battling with each other to get a decent view (and perhaps even a half decent photograph) of this famous painting. And considering that this must have been talen in quite poor light and with high ISO, you have done very well indeed to come up with such a technically good image.

I see that you're now staring to enjoy taking more pictures which include people and your workshop picture is a fine example. Like yourself, I'm coming to the conclusion that people really can make or break a photograph and, more often than not, they do add interest and appeal. Have a look at some of the wonderful photographs of Gert (holmetz) - almost all of his include people, often from unusual places, and I think you'll see just how much humans can add to images.

Brilliant!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. On the subject of the Mona Lisa herself: I read somewhere that a lot of the appeal which this painting has is due to the fact that it is one of the very first paintings in which "aerial perspective" was used. Of course, in times much before Leonardo, paintings looked "flat" with no linear perspective at all but then artists realised about linear perspective and incorporated that in their paintings and added realism. But "aerial perspective" is that feature that we all subconsciously notice when we look at a scene - close objects appear with saturated colours and high contrast whereas distant objects like mountains and far off buildings appear less contrasty and their colours are less saturated or "weaker". If you look at this painting, the girl herself is quite clear and contrasty and her colours well saturated but the distant view is less so in both respects: that adds depth to the image and makes the girl "stand out" against her background much more effectively and realistically than would have been the case had this "aerial perspective" not have been observed or employed. Quite interesting I thought.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 AM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: Awesome!

Big thanks John...for not only the comments, but the well informed an detailed "p.s." I've read it a few times now, really taking into account your description and trying to visualize it in mind. Sadly, my memory leaves a lot to be desired...but I do recall being there without doubt!

I have seen a lot of Gerts pictures, and we've exchanged comments along the way. He's actually another person I'd like to get to know better. I only wish I had more free time to comment on so many photos that I miss...but simply seeing them in the galleries provides inspiration.

You're right on the money too, I am starting to enjoy having people included. Although I think I'm better served with objects that are stationary, I'm sure I'll eventually develop more of a skill set to capture the faces that tell the story.

Happy Holidays and warmest wishes from the U.S.,

J